Welcome to one way I share my photography hobby and some of my travels. I hope you enjoy these photos and perhaps the story that accompanies them. Click on the photo to see a larger version.

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

A Three Day Adventure: Day One

 Earlier this Spring, I signed up for the Grand Tour of MN, a motorcycle “event”, sort of, in which riders are to go to 20 locations in Minnesota chosen by the event organizers and take a picture of each location along with a booklet that has each riders identifying number and, preferably, the rider’s motorcycle. Today I set out to collect about 5 of those locations over the course of the next 3 days.  I decided to take a circuitous route and do some exploring that wouldn’t be related to the grand tour.  Here are some photos from day one.


My first stop was the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum in Hayward Wisconsin. Built in 1978, it’s claim to fame is the giant Muskie sculpture, reportedly the world’s largest fish sculpture AND the world’s largest fiberglass structure.  The grounds also have four buildings which contain thousands of vintage lures, over a thousand antique boat motors, and 300 mounted fish. 

View from inside the giant Muskie’s mouth.


This outboard motor brought back memories of my Dad’s old Sea King 5 horse.


Leaving Hayward, I rode east to Clam Lake where I zig-zagged my way north through the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest via forest roads aka: dirt roads.  



Mason Wisconsin is considered the smallest incorporated village in Wisconsin.  Prior to being formally “established” in 1883 by the White River Lumber Company, it was inhabited by indigenous peoples. The lumber company’s mill burned to the ground in 1894.  When they rebuilt it, it was considered the largest lumber mill east of the Mississippi.  The mill was closed in 1913 and the area has been considered agricultural since 1914.  I just now noticed that the building says “Mason Hosue”…

Rush hour at the Mason Mall.

Wild flowers along a forest road.

Superior Wisconsin, where A World of Accordions Museum is located in an old church.  Unfortunately, their hours are very limited, and they were not open when I visited.  They also happen to be a place that teaches the repair and restoration of accordions.  There are a bunch of vintage accordions on display here. Perhaps I’ll see them on another occasion. 

A peak through the door into the museum.


Got my shot of the Aerial Lift Bridge in Duluth.  299 miles today.

Thanks for looking!



12 comments:

Followers