Welcome to one way I share my photography hobby and some of my travels. I hope you enjoy these photos and perhaps the story that accompanies them. Click on the photo to see a larger version.

Thursday, June 23, 2022

A Three Day Adventure: Day Two

 I woke up this morning to the low 70’s F in Superior Wisconsin.  A short time later, I was riding along the North Shore of Lake Superior and 55 degrees.  I set my sights on three Grand Tour of MN destinations for today: The Eagle Mountain Trailhead, the Trail’s End campground sign at the end of the Gunflint Trail, and The International Wolf Center in Ely.  Today involved riding over 300 miles, with a fair share of dirt/gravel forest roads purposely thrown in to make things interesting.  


My first stop on the North Shore to put additional layers on as the temp had dropped into the chilly zone.

All along the North Shore and along the Gunflint Trail are these beautiful Lupine.  

A trip up the North Shore wouldn’t be complete without a stop at Palisade Head.  

I would pause periodically to take in the beauty of the area, and then I would be swarmed with biting flies and mosquitoes as a bonus.


There’s road construction everywhere - even on a remote forest road near Eagle Mountain.  This “road work” turned out to be two stakes with orange ribbons marking an area on the side of the road that had been washed out, so it really wasn’t an inconvenience.

My official photo for the Grand Tour.  It was 89 degrees when this picture was taken.

I stopped in Grand Marais for much-needed gas, a gas station sandwich, and a couple stickers from the Lake Superior Trading Post.  It was 65 glorious degrees when this photo was taken.
From here, I rode SW down the North Shore until Hwy 1, which is a very nice, twisty and curvy, ride to Ely, where I visited the International Wolf Center for my final photo for the Grand Tour for the day.

The “thermostat” in my motel room in Ely because the AC for part of the building was broken.  Hopefully, remembering my North Shore ride today will keep me cool tonight.

Thanks for looking!



8 comments:

  1. I want to live there. Except for the bugs. And broken air conditioner. But I still want to live there. A beautiful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The storm should have brought in some cool air.
    Looking forward to tomorrow’s photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You just never know what a storm is gonna do until you read about it the next day! 😎

      Delete
  3. Love that country! Thanks for the great pics!! Going to tell Dick it is time for a trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know you said it was a Minnesota thing and Superior is in Wisconsin not Minnesota but love the pictures. Stop over in Tower and take a picture of Lake Vermilion and my old place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’m not sure Wisconsin wants to claim Superior as it’s own, but there it is on the map!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful as always! I look forward to your trips and photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Followers