Welcome to one way I share my photography hobby and some of my travels. I hope you enjoy these photos and perhaps the story that accompanies them. Click on the photo to see a larger version.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mushroom Hunt

Saturday, when our A/C decided to cause some time-consuming problems, we spent some time with our A/C repair guy instead of going to a baseball game and a beer festival.  Fortunately, this changed our itinerary enough that it afforded us the opportunity to participate in an early evening mushroom hunt at a super secret location in Dakota County.  You see, mushroom hunters are pretty competitive folks, and they protect their hunting grounds something like those guys on the show Moonshiners, so I've been sworn to secrecy as to where we were hunting.

This is "Awesome-A"; home remodeler, two-time caber toss champion, and mushroom hunter.  He is our guide today, with plenty of knowledge about mushrooms - very good to have, considering one mushroom can be delicious while another will kill you.  I don't worry about it too much - I even pick them off of pizza.


Here's Chris.  Chris has a couple of nicknames too, but for now we'll just call him Chris.  Chris is our assistant guide today, and though he has much more hunting under his belt than we do, he is still learning the mushroom ropes by Awesome-A.


At first I thought Awesome-A had the big stick to encourage us to keep the location a secret, but he eventually used it as a tool to dig for the ever elusive chanterelle mushrooms hidden under the grass.

My Little Red Haired Girl.  While I lost nearly a quart of platelet-enriched fluid to the ravenous mosquitoes, my LRHG suffered nary a nibble. Too sweet for them, me thinks.


LRHG searching high and low







Baby chanterelle mushrooms.




I'm guessing this isn't edible. 


This mushroom turned bluish in the area where it was scratched.  Also probably not edible.

Thanks for looking at my pics!

6 comments:

  1. I love it! From now until October it will just keep getting better. You will have to go out again. Don't forget to wear long sleeves this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will wear long sleeves, but I won't be spraying Deet this time. Too tough on the seats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics enhanced by a great story, nice job. We'll have to discuss that whole pickin' 'em off pizza thing, though. Hmph.

    I really like the shallow depth of field highlighting the sharp focus on people with blurred background on the candid portraits. And the BW shot is great.

    Looks like LRHG became the star of the show! Awe...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i love this dave...... "awesome-a" brilliant really! Janet

    ReplyDelete

Followers