Welcome to one way I share my photography hobby and some of my travels. I hope you enjoy these photos and perhaps the story that accompanies them. Click on the photo to see a larger version.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Heroes

Journey, challenge, good, bad, and even ugly are all words we use to describe life.  Like everyone else, I have experienced my share of things that can be described using those words.  And, sometimes, those life experiences can make a person feel a little ungrounded.  Fortunately, there are numerous people in my life who have made an impression on me. Some are fighters, some are survivors.  They are people I look up to.  Some are people who, during their lives, went to far away places and fought for our country. Some are people who have survived cancer.  They have faced challenges and fears most of us cannot imagine.  And yet, their spirits shine brightly.  Here are just a few of the people who have inspired me during my journey.

Click on the image to see a larger view.

Sometimes, she is one of the only people standing in my corner, supporting me no matter the challenge.  She is one of the most compassionate and hard working people I know.  She's also a breast cancer survivor, and she's walked 360 miles (so far) in the fight to end this terrible disease.  I am blessed that she is my beautiful Wife.



My friend, Lloyd, served in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot.  He has several interesting stories from his experiences during the war, including the day he found himself submerged, upside down, after his helicopter crashed into a river.  Thanks for your service Lloyd. 



My friend, Laura, is a two-time breast cancer survivor.  She is a bright lamp of hope in a darkness too many women face when they are told they have breast cancer.  Her spirit, her strength, and her family have been an inspiration to me and to many. 



My friend, Vern, is depicted here in the reflection of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in St. Paul.  In 1967, Vern fought alongside some of these men, and he saw firsthand the horrors of that war.  Thank you for your service, Vern, and Welcome Home.




And finally, my Dad.  Though he did not fight in war or beat breast cancer, he is the man who played a major part in who I have become.  He taught me right from wrong, and he gave me the tools I needed to be who I am.  Thanks Dad.

12 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute to each of them. Great photos.

    A thousand Facebook friends combined cannot hold a candle to the small group of people that are the closest to you in your life.

    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great gift you have Dave to put pictures and words together. This is a great blog. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome stories told with your camera and narrative. You would really enjoy reading Peter Jenkins' books (Walk Across America best selling author). Your photo journalism style reminds me of Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome stories told with your camera and narrative. You would really enjoy reading Peter Jenkins' books (Walk Across America best selling author). Your photo journalism style reminds me of Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sergeant Sue. Actually, I do have the book Walk Across America, thanks to your recommendation several months ago. I haven't read it yet, but I do have it... Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. Awesome David! What a wonderful gift you have. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful selections. I would guess that you are a hero to at least one of the above. I agree about reading Walk Across America. It is really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words don't come easy. To be included in this beautiful blog touches my heart and my soul. This was totally unexpected.
    Thank you for your kindness Dave. Lloyd

    ReplyDelete

Followers